Copy of "Agile Retrospectives: Making good teams great" by Ester Derby and Diana Larsen
Magnets or bluetack
4 Scrum masters (I had enough Queue cards for 4, if you have more just write more cards)
You will plan a number of different 5-stage retrospectives for all your teams at the same time. The book is organised into activities that support each stage of the retrospective.
- Write out the exercises from the chapters 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8. It helps if you use colors. These are exercises that support: Setting the scene, Gathering Data, Generating Insights, Deciding what to do and Closing the Retrospective.
- Now lay all the cards out on the table in columns according to chapter. See photo.
- Next you lay out the whiteboard. So across the top put the 6 columns. One row per team. Now you are ready to play. Here we have 4 teams.
- The next step is to get the scrum masters to choose from the laid out cards which activities they will use to run the retrospective. It doesn't matter if they don't know what that activity is as its described how to do it in the book. All they need is on the queue card.
- You end up with something like this: Here you have 4 teams retrospectives planned out. For example
- Now each scrum master has an agenda put together. The instructions for each task are in the book quoted above.
- Its good to follow up this activity to see how did the scrum masters get on. And you can easily re-run it to get another retrospective agenda filled.
- FYI after we had done this I found this website that does the same thing with an online version. http://www.plans-for-retrospectives.com/